Sunday, May 13, 2007

Back to Basics

I was a little apprehensive about this workshop - most of the members of Designing Women have been playing with textiles as long as I have - but it was very well received. The newish members loved it, because there were techniques that were new to them. Some others who have been members for longer commented that it was great to revisit previously learnt techniques and explore variations.

So I think it was a success.

The first technique we looked at was the use of water solubles in constructing a fabric. I had a dozen different samples of disappearing stabilisers. Most were water solubles but we also looked at vanishing muslin. This technique was the only one I demonstrated and here is the result.


I used recycled sari silk fibres on a base of Vilene 541 (sol-u-web), covered it with another layer and scribbled all over it with metallic thread. I think I will cut it up and use bits with the embellisher.

No comments: