Friday, November 7, 2008

Whorl

After thinking about this project for months, I got down to work and finished it in a frenzy. I am very happy with it.

This is the starting point - a photo of the bark on a paperbark (Melaleuca) at Piney Lakes. Piney Lakes is the venue for Designing Women meetings and I wrote about the meeting in May where we ventured further than our meeting room and took lots of photos.


I printed the photograph on cotton and on silk organza. I layered the cotton print with lightweight fusible Pellon and silk and freemotion stitched, using a subtle variegated thread (Victory Vanilla Beans) and a deeper grey.

I bought the shadow box frame at Thingz. It needed some disassembling and reassembling and there was a disaster with hot glue, but eventually it all came together.

The embroidered cotton is the base layer, separated with a spacer from the organza. I will try for a photo tomorrow - by the time it was assembled the sun had set.

No comments: