Sunday, June 8, 2008

Showing Off

The exhibition title is actually Show Off 4. It is an exhibition of works from artists who live in the Cockburn Council area and is being held at the recently refurbished War Memorial Hall in Hamilton Hill.

The venue is fantastic. The original hall has very high ceilings with some interesting plaster work and polished jarrah floorboards. This is now connected to a purpose built exhibition space which is circular and has 2? 3? sets of windows at almost floor level. Each set of windows has a polished wood "window seat" which makes a wonderful display area for 3 dimensional work.

I loved the venue, but the exhibition was patchy. There was some fabulous work by well established artists like George Haynes and Miles Carpenter as well as interesting work from others I had never heard of. I loved a piece by Joromi Mondlane who is originally from Mozambique. Just as well for my bank balance that it had already sold. Some of the work was embarrassingly amateurish, and unfortunately there were usually two or three examples of it.

The criteria for selection was purely geographical. I think I will make an effort to be included in the next one.

No comments: