Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Abundant Yarn and Mill Ends

After our morning excursion to Washington Park in Portland itself (see the family blog for details) we left Kevin at home and Jennifer took me to two of her favourite shops.

Abundant Yarn is, of course, a yarn shop. It has a wonderful range of yarns from all over the world. They also dye their own yarns and wool rovings. Today must have been a dyeing day because there were piled up skeins on the tables of the back room and one of the assistants was winding a large skein into smaller ones when not busy at the cash register. Today's batch was in soft shades of green and blue - very restful. I did manage to resist buying any of that, but I bought a loooong circular needle (120cm) to try another Moebius scarf when I get home. I also bought a packet of hand dyed silk chiffon pieces for felting.

Mill Ends is a HUGE warehouse which sells all kinds of fabrics, yarns and haberdashery. I was very tempted by some white silk devore which could be dyed, but decided it was just a bit too expensive, given the price was by the yard. However, Tuesday is Seniors' discount day with 15% off and Jennifer has promised that we can go back if I really want to. I will think about it.

We didn't even venture into the back of the store where the upholstery fabrics were, but had a good poke around the silks and quilting fabrics. If I lived here it would be my favourite store too!

No comments: