Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Progress on the "To Do" list

The software workshop was really good - Pam's knowledge of the software (less than 3 months since it was released in Australia) is amazing. I had no trouble keeping up. In fact I usually managed to do each step two or three times before we moved on to the next. I will make some time to work through the whole exercise this week, even though the days (and nights) are quickly filling up with things to be done.

This afternoon I purchased the wedding gift for Bruce and Tamara and then bought some new undies for both of us. Two things crossed off the "To Do" list. I am still thinking about buying some Aussie print T-shirts for us to wear at the rehearsal dinner the night before. It is supposed to be an "Aussie Barbecue", but I gather it is a sit down meal. Will think more about this . . . .

I started stitching one of the Melville pieces this afternoon. We have to write a little story about each one and I had no idea what the piece meant to me. But as I was stitching I saw a garden and that is what I will write about - the one Kevin's father tended in Murray Road and the one we inherited at 342 Canning Highway.

I haven't printed the 342 picture yet for the photo transfer piece, but I have played with the jpeg and the fabric sheets are ready. I am going to print the same image on silk and silk organza. I may layer both images together or else use a dyed piece of organza over the silk. . .

This is the picture I will use. It was taken about 1901.

The woman is Annie Murray, aunt of the little girl. Her name is either Elsie or Annie - we are not sure which one she is. The girls' mother died at Boulder while the family was living there. The father, William Murray, had a grocery store there and later in North Fremantle. He was Chairman of the Melville Roads Board (predecessor to the Melville City Council) at least twice - I need to look up our reference books to make sure. Kevin's parents lived in Murray Road.

When Annie (the younger) died, the house was left to the Presbyterian Church. We bought it in 1974, while we were living in Papua New Guinea and moved in in December 1975. We lived there for 28 years.

No comments: