Monday, January 11, 2010

Followup on 'The Quilt'

When I gave daughter Helen the quilt on her birthday she was very pleased, but it didn't take long before she decided she needed/wanted some matching pillowcases. This wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't used up almost all the fabric. What was left was in small bits and I really didn't want to piece it all together - it would have looked like leftovers, not planned patchwork.

So I googled Klimt fabric. Found some in the US that exactly matched the backing fabric I used for the quilt and another that went well with it and sent off an order in the middle of December. I had an email back in a couple of days that said it had been sent, but that US Post was experiencing long delays with international mail and it could be 6 - 8 weeks before delivery.

Not a problem - I had other things to worry about. However the fabric arrived in the first week of January (2-1/2 weeks after ordering).

Today I decided to grasp the nettle and make the pillowcases. First problem: I hadn't done any calculations on how much fabric I actually required and found that I didn't have enough to make the 4 pillowcases I had planned. But I did have all those scraps.

I have finished 2 pillowcases and almost the other 2. I had planned a photo, but I had to go to the dentist, so that is tomorrow's task: finish and document.

Tomorrow is Day 1 of the second round of chemo, starting at 1.30. I will have enough time in the morning to finish them off.

No comments: