Friday, February 9, 2007

February is Group start up time

Yesterday I went to the first meeting for the year of the Machine Embroidery group at the Embroiderers' Guild, today I went to Contemporary Quilt Group and tomorrow is the first meeting of Designing Women. The second week of the month is the favoured time for most of the textile groups I belong to.

Yesterday we revisited basic free machine embroidery stitches. and started on a stitch sampler. As usual I didn't have the threads I really needed, and my machine decided that, no matter how much I loosened the tension of the spare bobbin case, it was not going to co-operate and make a nice feather stitch. Yet another UFO in the making, I suspect.

At Contemporary Quilt Group we watched the DVD of Quilt National 2004. Some stunning work - we needed a morale boosting talk after. Show and Tell was a bit limited because of the holiday break, but there were some nice examples of printing from a lino block, disperse dyeing using texture sheets and an arpilliero (?spelling) that a member's daughter had bought in South America. Diana also brought along the quilt she made that appears in the latest issue of Quilting Arts, and there was some fabulous vintage clothing. One was a Victorian capelet with a collar and long ties. Though solid black for a mourning garment, it was embellished with shiny black beads. I guess the desire for bling has always existed.

PS: Yesterday I just missed out on 10,000 steps: 9823. Today I forgot to put on the pedometer. Probably just as well. Even though we went for our walk early I spent most of the day sitting.

No comments: