Thursday, February 8, 2007

More Fibre at the Museum

I thought I had rabbited on enough yesterday so I didn't mention two other fibre pieces we were shown. I didn't take photos - I was a bit shy about asking - so no pictures, sorry. The pieces were cloaks from New Zealand. I know nothing about these, so I don't know if they were good examples or rubbish, but I found them pretty impressive.

The first was (according to the accompanying card) "woven from flax with thrums inserted into the warp". Doesn't sound that wonderful, does it? But it was really interesting. The base fabric was a creamy-beige colour, woven so that it appeared as textured rectangles. The "thrums" were black, long curly pieces almost like the stuff you can buy to use as dolls' hair. I assume they were wool, but I have no idea whether it was the natural colour or if they were dyed. The overall effect was almost like a layer of freeform lace on top of the base fabric.

The second was a feather cloak. I wasn't able to look closely at this, so I don't know what the base fabric was like, but it had intricately woven bands at each end. The feathers were a muted pinky-brown, quite fluffy, with here and there the eye from a peacock's feather. We were told that it dated from the 1880's.

I do think it is a shame that things like this are not on public display. I have decided that I need to know more about traditional New Zealand textiles, because I am going to the Aotearoa Textile Forum on the Kapiti coast in September.

No comments: