Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Avoidance Tactics

I still have not printed my silkscreen (mentioned in the last post), nor have I done anything with my dyed and overdyed fabric pieces from the workshop. These are mostly silk, but there are a couple of bits of rayon. I like them so much I am hesitant to do anything to change them - I think they may be what Jane called "New Boyfriends"!

I have been carving more erasers and making more stencils. I have really enjoyed the "toolmaking" aspect of the course. I am embarrassed at how many other (purchased and unused) tools I was able to find when I went searching.

I need to bite the bullet and start production.

Here are a couple of the swatches I made that were in the display on the final afternoon.

This is black fabric that was stencilled (badly) with yellow opaque fabric paint. The back looked better than the front, so I used sequin waste and stencilled with bleach. After stabilising the bleach (NO vinegar! Lots of water and rinsing) I used the same leaf stencil with a greeny bronze (a colour I mixed) metallic paint. I am pretty happy with the result.

Here are some other pieces. All have been dyed and overdyed, then printed and stencilled. Not sure what has happened with the colour - they all have a distinct greenish cast on my monitor.

Kevin and I are baby sitting my brother in law (who has Parkinson's) for the next couple of days while my sister has surgery on her knee. I am not sure whether I will be able to post.

No comments: