Monday, January 14, 2008

A $160 T-Shirt

I saw it in a boutique and thought that it was a simple and clever idea. Then I checked the price tag. EWWWW!

The original used a brocade fabric. I took some of the red rayon stamped with gold fabric that I was experimenting with the other day and tried another lot of bleach discharge, using much less bleach. Some of the stamp could actually be seen, and I still got a bit of the purple when the gold discharged. I thought the fabric was quite interesting enough and so I replicated the T-Shirt.

Nine squares, each stitched to hold it in place, then the edges frayed. A line of hand stitching through the centre of each row of squares. Knots left on the surface rather than hidden.

The base for my top was a T-Shirt from K-Mart costing $12. I cut 2.5 inch squares from the discharged fabric and stitched them in place.

I used 2 different silk threads that had been part of my Christmas gift pack from Dale. The colours were exactly right: yellowy-orange and purples.



I am very happy with the finished product. And while I would like to credit the designer of the $160 T-Shirt, I am not at all guilty at pinching the idea.

No comments: