Monday, January 28, 2008

Research = sorting the clutter

I have several impending deadlines.

I have signed up for the Aus-NZ Art Quilters journal quilt challenge for 2008. I did the challenge in 2006 and sent off 5 quilts from the 10 I made to an exhibition which toured the country. I got them back late last year and I am really chuffed that one of them was selected to appear in the latest issue (#117) of Down Under Quilts magazine.

This month's theme for the journals is Seasons. I have been tidying up my sewing room table. Because it is so big, everything seems to accumulate on its surface, and when I do a tidy up I never know what I will find. This time it was 2 pieces of transfer dye printed fabrics, an organza and a polyester satin, in red, orange and yellow. Think HEAT, SUN, BUSHFIRES! I think they will be the basis of January's challenge. Need to get a move on though - only 3 more days left in the month.


The second deadline is the fan piece for the Joan Schultz master class exhibition in Brisbane. This is due by the middle of February. I have been doing samples, but I am not happy with them. I am rethinking the design. More later.

The third deadline is the WA exhibition: Stitched and Bound. Entries are due in early April. I have a very nebulous idea, but it will need to be translated into a quilt in very short order.

But the studio table is clear now. I have rediscovered some very valuable and inspirational printouts on the creative process as well as some sheets on techniques that are beginning to resonate.

No comments: