Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Power of Stitch


Friday evening Iris and I drove down to Mandurah for the opening of this textile exhibition. It is a collection of works by some of the people who have done Master classes at Dwellingup with Glenys Mann.

I had misread the opening time, so we were very early. Fortunately the gallery was open so we had plenty of time to look at the works without many other people being there. It is an excellent exhibition.

Two years ago there was another Mandurah exhibition, again for people who had done a Master class with Glenys. I participated in that one and two of the three works I entered travelled with the exhibition to various venues in the Eastern States. The third stayed here in WA because it had been purchased.

Iris struck up a conversation with a young man whose partner was one of the contributing artists to the current exhibition. He said that she had only recently begun working in textiles. Just then she joined us and carried on the conversation. She said that she had visited the last exhibition on the recommendation of her TAFE Art lecturer and had been overwhelmed with the works. She had purchased a piece called Tree Story by someone called Joan Lock. It was the first art work she had ever bought. Having fallen in love with textiles as an art medium she was now learning all she could about them and had attended Glenys' next class.

We had not introduced ourselves at this stage so she was greatly surprised when Iris told her who I was. I was gobsmacked. I am so chuffed when I sell something and it is an added bonus to meet a person who has liked what I have done enough to buy it. There is an additional bonus this time. I did not get a good photo of the piece before it went into the exhibition and they have promised to email me one.

So this exhibition's title is most appropriate as far as I am concerned!

No comments: