Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Box Challenge

Designing Women is the Textile Art group of which I am president and today was the monthly meeting. The committee had decided to set a challenge for the members. A list of things to bring was sent out in the newsletter. It was deliberately vague but no-one seemed to mind that. Committee members brought along examples of boxes they had made, plus books and magazines with patterns and instructions for making a wide variety of boxes. The display was great, but as usual I had forgotten the camera and didn't think to use the camera in my mobile. The challenge was received enthusiastically and some lovely embroidered and embellished fabrics were started. We expect to see some great boxes in May when the challenge results are due.

Before I went out to the International Women's Day outing I mentioned on Thursday I spent a couple of hours making a folded "Treasure Box". The pattern is from Quilting Arts #20 and is very quick and easy. I enlarged the pattern 200% and added an extra buttonhole.



I used the embellisher to felt dyed merino fibres on to a cream felt.

I ironed some interfacing onto pink silk recycled from a blouse, then made a sandwich and stitched it with a metallic thread on top and a rayon variegated thread on the bottom.

I think it turned out very well.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

The colours are so lovely!! It looks gorgeous. I enlarged the pattern, but STILL haven't made one yet!!