Friday, March 23, 2007

Lace

I love traditional and antique lace and I have a small collection of it. One day I am going to use some of it to make a collaged textile piece.
I was very happy to get this book in the mail today. There are lots of pictures of lace and as I also enjoy making freeform lace on water soluble I expect this will be a great source of inspiration.

However, I am not interested in using my computerised embroidery machine to stitch out lace designs that someone has digitised. I can admire the results when I see what someone else has done, but the process does not appeal.

One of the ladies at sewing club on Wednesday showed off a lace table centre she had made. It had 16 different lace squares all joined together. Someone asked her how long it took and she said she didn't really know, but one of the squares had taken 81 minutes to stitch out. 81 minutes times 16! I know you can do other things while the machine stitches away, but you really need to be fairly close by in case something fouls up. I cannot imagine spending that much time listening to a stitch out. It was a lovely piece of work though.

No comments: