Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A hot one

We managed quite a long walk this morning, though the sun was fierce and it was already shaping up to the record temperature for March that was recorded this afternoon - 42.7 I think. The weather bureau man said the previous record was in 1990, but I can't remember that at all.

I had long service leave that year so was not at school. Hot days are even hotter in a cooking room that faces west and gets full afternoon sun thanks to a Scandinavian building design that was cutting edge in the 1950s when the school was built. Major bureaucratic stupidity - you need all the light you can get in Norway, but in WA? And of course there is no airconditioning.

We have been quite comfortable today in our air conditioned house. Both of us went out for brief periods in air conditioned cars, braving the furnace blast between parking and air conditioned shops. I am sure that power usage today will also be a record. I am also a little guilty that we ourselves have been responsible for contributing to the greenhouse gas problem.

I spent most of today selecting fabrics, mostly hand dyes but also some plains, cutting out pieces and ironing them to vliesofix. I used 3 metres of vliesofix and think I probably now have sufficient choice for the applique. Here is some of the fabric spread out on my ironing board.

No comments: