Sunday, March 11, 2007

Nappy liners

One of the Designing Women group achieved a major coup last week. Loraine was shopping in a small local supermarket when she spied six or so packets of 100 Black and Gold nappy liners in the "Reduced to Clear" trolley. Though she couldn't remember offhand exactly why they are desirable objects for textile artists she grabbed a packet and rang me when she got home. I went there the next morning and there were still 3 packets left so I bought them for the princely sum of $1.99 each.

When I offered them to the group on Saturday there was an immediate fight for possession, so each packet had to be shared between two or more. I let them work it out - I bought a packet of 100 a few years back and I probably still have about 75 left. Should last me a while.

So why are nappy liners a desirable addition to one's stash? Especially Black and Gold brand?

First - they can be painted, stamped, rubbed with Shiva sticks and other mediums then ironed on to fabric or paper with a very hot iron (or zapped with a heat gun). The heat adheres the liner to the base and also causes parts of the liner to disintegrate with very interesting textural results.

Second - they are no longer made. Disposable nappies have won out in the battle to cover babies' bums. Their name reflects their use - I remember washing the ones that just got wet and flushing others when my children wore nappies back in the 70s of the last century.

Third - the white cheaper ones (Black and Gold) work for heat distortion. The upmarket blue ones don't.

There are substitutes. Dale sells Zap Cloth which apparently does the same thing. I bought some to try but haven't used it yet. I have promised myself that I will get painting and zapping soon.

And obviously one needs to look in every clearance bin. Well done, Loraine.

No comments: