Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Dyeing Efforts

On Sunday, while at the DW retreat in Dwellingup, we did some dyeing with Procion MX dyes that had been left over from a workshop the group did with Dijanne Cevaal some 4 years ago. We hoped they would still be useable and they were.

I didn't get a chance to do much for myself since I was sort of looking after the logistics of it all, but I did manage to put dye and fabric in 3 bags. This is the final result. From the top: red and blue, yellow and black and yellow and red.


I was aiming to produce some scrim I could use in embellishing and so I took a variety of loosely woven cotton fabrics and some thick cotton knit. I am mostly happy with the results.


This fabric may not be pure cotton. It didn't work very well in the first bag which was blue and red, but on the other hand, there may just have been too much fabric for the dye in that bag, because I used it again in the yellow and orange bag and it worked very well.

I want a piece of scrim in pinks, blues and lavenders for another project I have in mind so I think I will just paint it over.

No comments: