Monday, August 20, 2007

Hidden Treasures

I cleaned up the sewing room today. The table is almost bare - two piles of works in progress/ UFOs and lots of vacant space.

Unfortunately, I also discovered a couple of piles of old magazines and I have spent most of the afternoon paging through them. I remember exactly how I acquired them: a gold coin donation at sewing club accounts for some, Dale donated a pile to Designing Women and we had a sort of auction then, a friend gave me a pile to be passed on - but I have to look at them first, don't I?, the Embroiderers' Guild had 4 for $1 at the last meeting . . .

I have found the single issue that I was missing from my collection of the Australian magazine Machine Embroidery and Textile Art. Looking at the back issues, I wonder why I am still buying it - the older issues had so much more interesting stuff than the latest ones. And I am due to renew my subscription - I suppose I will, but perhaps I should write a Letter to the Editor first.

I also need to decide whether I will renew my subscription to Threads. I have been a subscriber since 1991 and I have kept every issue. I often find stuff in old issues that is relevant to current projects, but I am finding that I am becoming less and less involved in each new issue as it arrives.

I love books and magazines, but maybe I should stop collecting, let the years of accumulated ideas percolate through my brain and thereby immediately become a creative dynamo. . . .

"Tell her she's dreaming " - an apothegm from the movie "The Castle" ("Tell him he's dreaming"). And what is an apothegm? Look it up.

No comments: