Friday, August 24, 2007

Work has started

on my entry for the Australia Wide Quilt Exhibition. I am planning a collage of photos I have taken, each embellished with freemotion embroidery (but repeatable if I have a foulup because I have done it with 4D Sketch). I finished tweaking the pictures on the computer yesterday and started on the embroidery designs. I finished them this morning and printed them out. If they look as good on fabric as they do on paper I will be really pleased.

Then I prepared the fabric for printing. I already had silk and silk organza that had been treated with Bubble Jet Set so I just had to iron the pieces to freezer paper. The first print went really well on our new Canon printer, but the second one jammed. Ouch! The fabric was not really damaged, but the printer no longer works. Since it is only a few weeks old, we hope it will be covered by warranty.

The printer I use for my laptop is an HP which isn't a straight through printer, so I have been reluctant to use it with fabric. I shouldn't have been! It worked beautifully and I now have 10 prints, 2 each of 5 photos, one on silk and the other on silk organza. Tomorrow I will either start the embroidery or prepare the background. The required size for the quilt is only 40 cm x 40 cm so I should get it finished really quickly.

One not so good thing happened today. I got a recall for the mammogram I had on Tuesday. They have found something in the picture of the right breast that is suspicious, so I have to go to Charlie Gairdners (hospital) next Tuesday for more pictures and possibly other diagnostic procedures. I am concerned, of course, but not too worried. A couple of friends have recently had recalls and have been cleared, but I will not deny the possibility of disease. If I have something wrong I want to know and learn what options I have. In the meantime, I have a quilt to finish.

No comments: