Saturday, August 16, 2008

Exploring South Perth and a new bookstore

Jennifer and I went to have lunch with Helen today. I had left a message that we would be there about 11.45 am, so when we were a little early I took Jennifer to Como, to the Preston Street Art Space, a shop I had seen back in May. I was at the Scquilters Retreat at the Pagoda and went for a walk on the Saturday afternoon. I passed the shop (which was closed) and made a note to self that I needed to go back there. Today was the day and Jennifer and I both really enjoyed the visit. Lots of lovely stuff - textiles, paintings and jewellery. Thelma has heard of Designing Women and so I will take some invitations to our November Exhibition for her customers. I will also look out for their piece in the Art in Bloom exhibition at the Art Gallery next weekend.

Mends Street was buzzing - the weather was fabulous - and we ate at the Dome cafe. Then we strolled down to the jetty to look at the ferry timetable. I think if the ferry had been there I might have persuaded Helen and Jennifer to make a short trip across to the city, but it wasn't, and wasn't due for 20 minutes, so we went back to the car and drove on to explore the Angelo Street precinct. Nice mixture of boutiques, cafes and solidly commercial institutions like banks and supermarkets. Really liked the Secret Garden which is a garden centre, gift shop and cafe all in one. I found a cumquat tree there in full fruiting flush - Kevin wants one. However I don't think he wants to pay $250.

After we dropped Helen back at the unit we went to Fremantle to look at the new Elizabeth's Books Warehouse. It is quite different from the standard Elizabeth's shops: mostly new books imported from the UK and the US, but with some real antiquarian books. I saw an Illustrated Holy Bible with metal edges and lock and a Bible and Concordance in a blue velvet lined wooden box. I coveted the latter, but both were priced well out of my range. I did spend $5 on a book by Nick Bantock (author of the Griffin and Sabine trilogy) called The Venetian's Wife. It has much more text than others of his, but also his amazing illustrations. I look forward to reading it.

No comments: