Saturday, April 14, 2007

Community Art Project Workshop

Two of the members of Designing Women are the co-ordinators for a Community Textile Art Project funded by the City of Melville. There are over a hundred people involved and Juliet and Iris have been running consultation workshops for the last couple of months. Now it is time to move on to actually making the textile pieces which will form the finished installation.

The group offered to be the guinea pigs for the technique workshops and so today we worked with paints and transfer dyes on a range of synthetic chiffons and organzas. Some lovely pieces were produced. Mine were only so-so, especially the painted pieces, though I am thinking of using burning and fusing on a couple of pieces.

I love working with transfer dyes because the results you get are so serendipitous and the colours are so different when they have been transformed by heat. Today I was using a paper towel to clean my brush while I was painting the papers.
The towel looked so interesting that I then decided to iron it on to a piece of chiffon. I really like the result and now need to consider possible further embellishments.

No comments: