Saturday, April 28, 2007

Magazines

A few days ago I said I was addicted to books. Now I must admit that I am also addicted to magazines.

Not the Women's Day or New Idea kind (my hairdresser has them and I confess to indulging when I visit), nor the House and Garden type (my doctor has them plus the more upmarket versions and I am quite happy to dally with them when he is late, as he usually is), nor news magazines like Time (that is what I read at the Bloodbank). My magazine addiction is textile magazines.

I have a few subscriptions. I have been subscribing to the American Threads magazine since 1990. My subscription runs out in September and I am tossing up whether to continue with it - I have not been overly impressed with the last few issues.

I love Textile Fibre Forum and happily send off my subs every couple of years. This is definitely the best Australian textile magazine.

I used to buy several Australian quilting magazines, but now only buy Down Under Quilts from the newsagent.

I have all but one issue of the Australian Textile Art and Machine Embroidery, though I have only been a subscriber for a couple of years, but I think it is time I stopped buying this and won't renew my subscription. It comes in the mail, I flip through it and rarely find anything that engages my attention. Pity - the earliest issues were cutting edge.

I also occasionally buy Stitch, an English embroidery magazine, from the newsagent if a flip through reveals some interesting subject matter as it usually does.

The magazines that involve me at the moment are Quilting Arts and Cloth Paper Scissors. CPS #12 arrived yesterday and I will need to spend days poring over it. I have pages and pages of notebook ideas derived from various issues of the two magazines. Maybe one day the ideas will transmute into actual pieces.

No comments: