Friday, April 13, 2007

Contemporary Quilt Group

There were some wonderful pieces on display today. Naturally I forgot to take the camera, and also forgot that I could use the mobile phone to take photos. Duh!

Jennie had a wonderful Moebius wrap constructed from strips of organza. She also had a knitted one in shades of green , and was knitting furiously on another in reds, oranges and purples. Zoe has been playing with her soldering iron and had some great samples plus a quilted piece that will go into the group's exhibit at QuiltWest in May. Margaret P showed me her piece from last month where she had painted tissue paper, then stitched, stamped and foiled. The result was a fabulous leather like fabric. Lorelei had a stunning bag made with a variation of Applique Perse and Margaret S has been playing with disperse dyes. One of the most interesting bits was transfer printed onto a very crinkled textured fabric. Almost everyone wanted to know where she got it. Of course - from a friend who was cleaning out her cupboards! No other known source.

Today's challenge was chenille. There were a number of small quilts that had used the basic technique, but the most interesting variation was from Lois. She had used the continuous bias binding method to make a chenille thread from a shibori dyed fabric and was now knitting it. She explained how it was done, but I didn't really follow. I think I need printed directions. She has promised to provide them next month.

I asked for advice about the red piece and got some suggestions. Because I am obviously somewhat of an innocent I had not realised how phallic the shapes in the piece are. I think I will need to take Jennie's suggestion and cut it up and reassemble it.

No comments: