Saturday, June 9, 2007

Blue Backgrounds

I got three pieces done on the embellisher at the Designing Women meeting today. Debbie had also brought along her embellisher (she has a Janome) and was working on wool tops. There was quite a bit of interest from other members and at least one has decided that an embellisher is a "must-have".

My first piece was done on a heavy felt that is used to cover pinup boards. I can't remember the name (I keep thinking RoundUp, but I know that's wrong). The embellisher handled it very well despite its weight. I meshed silk and silk organza pieces on to it (also some moire polyester which did not mesh very well), then added some fluffy yarn. This piece is so stable that I don't think I will have to finish the edges - just cut the inchies and add a bead or two (or something) to each one.


I used velvet for the second one, covered it with organza and then added two different yarns, plus some carpet yarn ends that I unravelled. This one will need a backing and probably some kind of edging. I may add some hand stitching as well.


The third one is a sandwich of an Angelina sheet between organza. There was some text stitched on the organza and I now think I will add some more text before cutting it up. The inchies from this bit will need some kind of edge, but I think are firm enough not to need a backing.

I am feeling a bit happier about finishing 63 of these inch pieces to fulfil the swap requirements.

No comments: