Thursday, June 14, 2007

Purely Purple

At the Machine Embroiderers' Group workshop today we played with using silk and wool tops to alter and embellish base fabrics.

I have lots of silk tops in many different colour ways, but I decided to limit myself to a very confined purple palette. While four different techniques were demonstrated, I only managed to complete one sample. In this one silk fibres were laid on top of a patterned fabric, a sheer was placed on top and the sandwich stitched.

I used a multicoloured cotton with a gold print, gold yarn, purple organza on top and gold and variegated purple thread stitching. I think I need to do more gold stitching or else remove it entirely - the piece is not working at the moment.


I have another sample using a different technique pinned ready to stitch. I have no idea when I will find the time to do it.

No comments: