Saturday, June 16, 2007

A couple of exhibitions

I finally got to see the exhibition of Lois Woollams' quilts at the Old George Gallery. The gallery space is perfect for quilts and they are beautifully displayed. There are some other things there as well by various artists: paintings, sculptures, scarves and handbags. The exhibition closes tomorrow.

The quilt collection is quite eclectic, ranging from the traditional hand applique using pastel hand dyes through children's quilts to bright coloured contemporary works. I loved a little piece where sheer fabric dyed with disperse dyes had been layered on top of cotton and kantha stitches in various colours worked all over the surface. This one had an interesting hanger as well - two old railway ties, quite rusty, twisted together.

Afterwards I went to the Fremantle Arts Centre to try to find a wedding present in the Craft Shop there. I was taken with quite a few things, but they are either too expensive or too heavy for air luggage! Still looking.

While I was there I had a look at the current exhibitions. Two of them did not greatly appeal to me, but I loved the third. It is a short film titled The Diabolical Doctor Pancoast. It is reviewed in the Arts section of today's West and I concur with the critic - unusual, because I usually think the reviews are so much hot air! It is on till July 15 and I will try to go again. I may even try to drag Kevin along - I think he would like it too.

No comments: