Friday, June 1, 2007

The Prince of Ties

A few years ago (?must be at least 10, now I think about it) I caught the tie collecting bug and amassed quite a number - two copy paper boxes full in fact. I sorted them into blues, reds, greys and browns, greens, yellows and planned to make several somethings, sometime.

At that time there were quite a lot of magazine articles and books about using ties in patchwork. I seem to remember a skirt made from ties that had been unpicked and then joined together so the wide ends made a flared hem?

So way back then I unpicked, washed and ironed about eight ties from the green/brown group and started some strip patchwork on calico for a teddy bear. I remember I was also making quite a few of those at the time in various fabrics. Even sold a few.

I completed a few pieces, then the project lost impetus and was shoved in a cupboard. Nearly four years ago we moved house and the teddy pieces were unearthed. Too much done to throw out so I resumed work on it, this time embellishing each strip with pattern stitches from my sewing machine. His ears and paws were made from a leather skirt I had discovered in an opshop while I was tie hunting and I made him a golden cloak from glitzy scraps stitched on water soluble. He turned out to be quite a regal fellow.

Why am I talking about him now? Erica sent out a call for strip patchwork quilts for possible publication in a future issue of DUQ. I knew he wasn't suitable, but I took a few photos any way. Here they are.



Himself











A closeup showing stitching







And the boxes of ties? On looking through them I find that most of the ties are silk. I must have been a discriminating buyer. I still don't have any ideas of what to do with them though.

No comments: