Wednesday, June 27, 2007

GTG at Gidgegannup

Annabell and I went up to Mem's for lunch today. Maureen was supposed to come too, but her dog had a stroke yesterday and she had to stay home to give him medication.

Mem's house was full of injured people and pets. She had surgery a month or so ago to repair a collapsed thumb. It is still in a cast, though the pin is out, and she can't do handsewing. One of her cats had to have its left rear leg amputated a few weeks ago (bone cancer) and is still needing TLC, the other is stone deaf and getting quite scruffy. Still able to give you the evil eye though if you disturbed his comfort zone.

I did, flapping a quilt a bit close to him when I was refolding it after Mem's show and tell. She had four lovely ones which she had had quilted by Kathy Costalls. The one that disturbed the cat was made from Japanese fabrics with a off centre panel of a Japanese lady. Her sister Faye (who was also present today) had stamped the navy backing fabric with bleach which had discharged to a rose pink. It looked very delicate.

I was most impressed - the times I have tried stamping with bleach the results have been very splotchy. Faye said she used Domestos, so I will have to try again. I have had most success with bleach when I have folded or tied the fabric, then immersed it. I like doing discharge. I also like working with soldering irons and heat guns to distress fabric. Chenilling is another favourite. Maybe I just like destruction.

Annabell had brought along some of her applique blocks. She is making one of McKenna Ryan's designs and it is beautiful. Definitely not something I would do though. She also had a collection of postcards that members of the Jewish quilters list on the internet had exchanged. They were really interesting. Maybe I should join a postcard swap - I love swapping ATCs.

I took along some bits I had made on the embellisher and the quilt I entered in QuiltWest. I promise I will post a picture one day. Again I forgot to take a camera.

The trip home was not pleasant. The forecast showers had arrived and the beautifully sunny day we had had in the morning vanished as if it had never been. It is a long way home (more than an hour) and the traffic was very heavy. I really tense up driving in the rain and was exhausted when I got home. I reneged on going to sewing group tonight - Sheila's house is at least 25 minutes away and it is still blustering outside.

I am cooking pea soup - must go look at it. It is smelling wonderful.

No comments: